2022 Scholarship Application
Eamonn O’Loghlin Scholarship Fund Background
Established in 2013 in memory of the CNE’s then-Director of Sponsorship & Partnerships who passed away suddenly that year, the Eamonn O’Loghlin Scholarship Fund bestows grants to assist outstanding post-secondary students as they pursue their studies. Students employed by the Canadian National Exhibition or Exhibition Place, who work at the annual CNE, are eligible to apply. Scholarship recipients exemplify the values of the CNE Foundation and honour Eamonn O’Loghlin’s indomitable spirit, his love for Canada, and his commitment to youth, community service and the CNE.
The application deadline is Sunday, September 18, 2022, at 11:59 p.m. ET. Please note the online system will not accept applications beyond this time.
Each year, the CNE Foundation awards two $1,500 scholarships to two post-secondary students. The scholarship funding can be used to assist with costs related to a post-secondary program, such as tuition, course fees or course books.
This opportunity is open to seasonal CNE employees or Exhibition Place employees hired on behalf of the CNE to work at the event:
- The employee must be in good standing and have completed their full work term.
- The employee must be enrolled in an eligible post-secondary program. Note: The CNE Foundation considers recognized university, college or trade programs as eligible post-secondary programs.
- Past recipients, and children or dependents of CNE Foundation, CNE or Exhibition Place employees, or CNE/CNE Foundation Board Directors are not eligible to apply.
Please ensure that you submit the following mandatory components with your application to qualify:
- Contact information
- Proof of enrollment in a recognized university, college or trades program for the fall of 2022
- Two letters of recommendation
- Your personal opinion essay on the 2022 selected topic (maximum 3,750 characters or approximately 750 words)
- Parent/guardian consent (if under 18 years of age)
You will have the option to save your online application and return to it before the application deadline. Please note that all components must be submitted with your application at the same time, by the application deadline.
2022 Personal Opinion Essay Topic
During the recent past, we’ve faced challenges and made personal sacrifices to help support the goal of reducing the number of COVID-19 cases. The lockdowns and other health restrictions that were implemented, including social distancing, virtual learning, remote working, and limiting interactions with more vulnerable loved ones, made feelings of stress, anxiety, isolation, grief and melancholy common. Togetherness was encouraged to support one another through the difficult times.
What challenges did you experience during the pandemic and how did you focus on self-care? How do you think we can improve, as a society, when it comes to caring for our mental wellbeing? What does the return of events, such as the CNE, mean to you and to our society?
Terms and Conditions
- The applicant confirms that the personal essay submitted with their application is their own original work and that external sources used are referenced appropriately. The applicant acknowledges that their application may be disqualified if the CNE Foundation in its sole discretion identifies plagiarism.
- The personal essay submitted by each successful scholarship candidate may be published on the CNE Foundation website, social feeds, or in such other media as the CNE Foundation determines in its sole discretion. This may include publication on the CNE website and social media feeds. The applicant consents to this publication if selected to receive a scholarship.
- If the applicant is chosen as a scholarship recipient, he or she agrees to provide a photograph of themselves that is suitable for publication along with the essay on the CNE Foundation website, media release and/or the CNE Annual Report.
- The applicant, if chosen as one of the successful candidates, agrees to be available and take part in interviews by news media, together with a representative of the CNE Foundation or CNE.
- The applicant acknowledges that only employees have completed the full work term with the CNE (or with Exhibition Place during the CNE) for the 2022 season will be eligible to be selected as a scholarship recipient.
- Applicants who are 18 years of age and under acknowledge that they have discussed this application with their parent or guardian, and that their parent or guardian has consented to this application by signing below.
- Personal information collected through this form will be used for administration purposes, including the scholarship application review process and for contacting the successful candidates. Please contact us at [email protected] with any questions about the collection of this information.
Selection Process and Notification
All applications will be reviewed by a selection committee after the application submission window has closed. The successful grant recipients will be announced in mid-to-late October. To identify the two successful candidates, the selection committee will complete an assessment of all applications received. This will include personal and academic achievement, community involvement and volunteerism and leadership, as well as each candidate’s personal opinion essay.
Please be in touch with any questions at [email protected] or 416-263-3800.
Sorry. This form is no longer available.